Studio Intent showcases and sells ethically made, sustainable clothing and accessories with a focus on Canadian designers. Celebrating and supporting Canadian fashion & art, sustainable fashion and the slow fashion movement is our intent.
Chantal Barchard founded Studio Intent in 2011 in Art Central (now the site of the Telus Sky). Emma Callin joined the team in 2014 after the move to the historic Alberta Block building and she is now leading the boutique's transformation into a pop-up shopping experience in partnership with other local businesses.
MEET THE TEAM
Emma - Owner/Operator
- I've moved 10 times and lived in 5 different countries but Calgary has become my home.
- My favourite foods are Japanese and Peranakan.
- All of my socks are brightly coloured and/or have cute patterns on them.
- I often think that my married life is like owning a very large, very excitable dog.
- I'm a complete shoe fanatic! Heels, flats, boots and sneakers - love 'em all!
- Three university degrees completed but I still get asked how high school is going...
- I have a non-identical twin sister and an older brother, as well as two step-brothers and three step-sisters.
- My favourite ways to de-stress involve listening to The Vinyl Cafe, rock climbing, dancing and baking (though not all at once).
Chantal - Founder
- Born in the Maritimes, I’m 14th generation Canadian (old French Acadian roots).
- Sketched space age fashion designs back in the 80’s.
- Grew up creating new looks by altering my clothes, shopping second-hand & raiding my mother’s closet.
- My eye for detail in garment construction and fabric also translates into an eye for numbers: I’m a Chartered Accountant.
- I love sharing how our clothing is made and sending customers home with pieces they’ll love for years to come.
- I aspire to live by the SLOW philosophy, walking to work and seeking out local businesses to support in my community.
- I recharge with my yoga practice and hiking and scrambling in the Rockies.
- I am supported by my amazingly funny, smart and talented husband Peter: he continually inspires me in my journey to lead a creative and balanced life.